The slip dress, a trend from the ’90s that has come back to haunt you in 2019, Ah! Although I don’t have anything against the slip dress, I have always struggled to find a way to wear it outside without feeling like I was either naked or in pyjamas. Although I didn’t expect the trend to return in fashion, it will. So I set out to find slip dress ideas that I could wear in real life. I was pleasantly surprised to find some. There were many slip dress ideas online. I don’t have to worry about looking naked or feeling like I was walking outside in a nightgown.
Slip dresses are simple, flirty pieces that can be worn for casual occasions or a street style look. These tips will show you how to style a slipdress year-round.
What is a slip dress?
Slip dresses are lightweight, fitted with spaghetti straps and worn as an undergarment under dresses. Slip dresses are made in luxurious fabrics such as satin and silk, chiffon or linen. They have a low neckline that looks like a V or square neck. They also come in various lengths, from mini dresses to longer dresses that reach the ankle. A bias-cut is a technique clothing manufacturers use to make slip dresses more flexible and elastic.
Style Tips to Style a Slip Dress
Slip dresses are timeless staples that can be worn year-round due to their versatility and classic appearance.
Here are six options for slip dresses:
- Layer with a sweater for cold months – You can wear a slip dress in cold months, even though it is thin. You can add a cashmere sweater or tights to your slip dress to make the dress warmer. The dress can be worn over a turtleneck sweater or long-sleeve shirt or layered over a cowl neck sweater to make it look like a slip dress.
- Layer with a white shirt in warm weather – A midi-length or mini slip dress is great for summer because of the thin, flowing fabric and open neckline. You can style the slip dress with a white T-shirt and pair it up with white sneakers or strappy sandals for a Parisian-inspired look. Add a denim jacket or blazer to keep warm on cool evenings to complete the look.
- Wear this classic outfit with heels – For a spring or summer wedding, a satin or silk slip dress will be timeless. For a formal wedding, choose a maxi or midi slip dress. Also, consider a dress in a bright pattern, such as a floral print slip.
- Wear it with your fall outerwear – Layer the slip dress underneath a jacket to wear in the fall. For casual autumn looks, layer a classic trench coat on a slip dress in black. You can also pair the look with knee-high boots and a slip dress with a long cardigan.
- Style with a motorcycle jacket – For a chic look on date night, pair a satin slip dress and a leather jacket with combat boots.
- For a casual look – Wear a blazer and button-down. For a more casual look, pair a midi slip with an oversized blazer and a white button-down. Tie the shirt’s bottom into a stylish knot at your waist if you are wearing a button-down underneath the dress.